I’ve created these delicious baked wraps as a lower calorie, healthier alternative to a combination of ideas – not quite a pizza, taco or burrito – but a mixture of all three, and only around 191 calories each. A herby, chicken & veggie loaded filling is topped with cheese and baked until the wrap is crispy and the cheese is melting – fabulous!
I used to make these for my daughters in the Old Days before I realised that were such things as moderation and calorie control. I’d use large white flour tortillas (one each), lots of cooked ham and chicken, NO vegetables (my daughters do not like those things), and HUGE handfuls of grated, full fat Cheddar cheese. I’d brush the tops with beaten egg and that would be that. I have worked out that they probably contained around 400 calories each – OUCH!
So that’s why I created this version – high in vegetables, low in fat, plenty of protein, plus the added fibre from the wraps. I used Mission Deli Mini Wheat & White Wraps, but you could use any small size wrap of your choice. I’ve added a few suggestions for alternatives to the fillings in the recipe below.
I've created these delicious baked wraps as a lower calorie, healthier alternative to a combination of ideas - not quite a pizza, taco or burrito - but a mixture of all three, and around 191 calories each. A herby, chicken & veggie loaded filling is topped with cheese and baked until the wrap is crispy and the cheese is melting - fabulous!
- ½ tsp Olive oil (or use low calorie cooking spray oil)
- 1 clove Garlic (peeled and crushed or finely chopped)
- 3 Spring onions (trimmed)
- ½ Medium red or green pepper (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 40 g Mushrooms (wiped and sliced or chopped)
- 6 Cherry tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- ¼ tsp Dried chilli flakes (optional)
- ¼ tsp Dried basil
- ½ tsp Dried oregano
- 50 g Ready cooked chicken (chopped into small chunks)
- 1 slice Thick sliced ham (around 25 grams)
- 60 g Passata
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 Mission Deli Wheat & White MINI Wraps (not the full size wraps!)
- 60 g 30% reduced fat Cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 tsp Skimmed milk (for brushing the wraps)
Preheat the oven to 190°c /170°c Fan / Gas Mark 5.
Gently heat the olive oil in a saucepan, then add the spring onions, mushrooms, peppers, cherry tomatoes and garlic. Gently fry the vegetables, stirring frequently, for 3 or 4 minutes until starting to soften and the cherry tomatoes are starting to break down slightly.
Add the ham, chicken, oregano and basil, and chilli flakes (if using). Stir well to coat everything in the herbs, then mix through the passata.
Lower the heat and cook, stirring frequently, for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper to your own taste.
Lay the first Deli Wrap on a board. Add a quarter of the filling to one half of the wrap. Top this with a quarter of the grated cheese.
Fold the wrap in half to cover the filling and carefully lift onto a non-stick baking sheet that's large enough to hold all four wraps. Repeat to use all the wraps, filling and cheese.
Lightly brush all four wraps with the milk, and if you like, top with a little black pepper. Pop the tray into the preheated oven and bake for around 12 - 15 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown and crispy.
- The filling can be changed to suit your own taste - try swapping the basil & oregano for some BBQ seasoning or Cajun spice. You could swap the ham and chicken for a vegetarian alternative (pre-cook before using).
- This would work really well with cooked, thinly sliced low calorie sausage (e.g. Heck), allowing approximately one thin sausage per serving.